Patient Instructions for Take-Home Whitening
(For your convenience, you can print this page)
Congratulations! You have made an excellent decision to improve your smile!
Please read the following information and don't hesitate to call the office if you have any concerns. Also, remember to tell your friends about the wonderful results you will achieve.
The syringe-delivered material is a sticky gel with a special time release formula for nighttime use. Wear your mouth tray for at least 6 hours per night, consecutively, if possible. Treatment time is 7-12 days, unless otherwise specified by us. If you miss a night, it is not a problem...simply continue the following night.
- Brush and floss your teeth.
- Extrude a small amount of gel into each tooth space of your mouth tray. The calibrations on the side are designed to prevent you from overfilling the mouth tray. Use no more than one increment of
gel to fill one entire tray. If the material is too difficult to get out of the syringe, take a pair of scissors and simply trim back the syringe tip.
- Place the tray in your mouth. Using 1/2cc leaves no significant excess material.
- If any excess gel extrudes onto your gum tissue, wipe it away with a Q-tip or tooth brush. You may rinse your mouth or drink water with the trays in place.
- Wear your mouth tray for at least 6 hours per night, consecutively, if possible.
- Remove the tray in the morning. Brush and floss your teeth. Also, rinse and brush out your tray to remove excess material that may be present after each treatment.
- Repeat this procedure for 7-12 days. Monitor your results until you have achieved the desired whiteness. Optional - refrigerate any extra material.
Refrain from eating, drinking, or smoking for 30 minutes after wearing the whitening gel. Also avoid citrus foods and beverages to minimize discomfort from sensitivity for approximately 30 minutes.
Some mild sensitivity may occur. If you experience more severe sensitivity, wait 24 hours before resuming bleaching treatments.
Make an Appointment
Feel free to call, email, or use our contact form.
Wilmette Dental, Ltd
344 Linden Ave.
Wilmette, IL 60091
Mon, Tue, Wed: 800am - 530pm
Thu: Noon - 800pm
Sat: 800am - 200pm (alternating)
Outside our regular business hours, please note our emergency care information.